- 2 tsp powdered (agar agar) (2 tsp= 4 g)
- 2 cups water (2 cups = 500 ml)
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar (or more, optional)
Recipe NotesPowdered agar agar:-
- Gather all the ingredients.
- Add water and agar powder in a small saucepan.
- Whisk the mixture together and bring it to a hard boil on medium-high heat, being careful not to let the liquid boil over.
- After the mixture has boiled and agar powder is dissolved, add sugar and cook on low heat for 2 minutes. If you add sugar before boiling, agar powder may not be dissolved.
- Remove the saucepan from the stove and pour the mixture into an 8" x 8" (20 x 20 cm) baking dish. Allow it to cool and let the agar set in the refrigerator (about 20 minutes).
- Cut into ½” (1.5 cm) cubes and they are ready to serve. Keep the jelly in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Agar needs to be heated to dissolve properly. The powdered form of agar is easiest to measure and use; bars and flakes should be dissolved in water first. It sets in about an hour at room temperature (Source
).If you are using agar/kanten stick:
You will need to rinse it carefully and break it into pieces to soak them in water for 30 minutes. This will help dissolve agar/kanten faster. Squeeze the water out from the pieces and they are ready to use.If you want to use gelatin:
1 tsp. agar/kanten powder = 1 tsp. powder gelatinIn order to set 1 cup (250 ml) of liquid, you will need:
Agar/Kanten powder = 1 tsp (2 g)Agar/Kanten stick = ½ stick (4 g)Kanten thread = 12 threads (4 g)Agar flakes = 1 Tbsp (4 g)Equipment you will need:
- 8" x 8" (20 x 20 cm) baking dish
An 8" x 8" (20 x 20 cm) baking dish is a perfect size to cut agar-agar jelly into nice cubes but you can use other mold(s).Source : Recipe by Namiko Chen of Just One Cookbook.