Gelatin is produced by boiling certain cartilaginous cuts of meat and bones of animals (pork and cattle bones, pork skin, cattle hide) in boiling water. Essentially, this is done to extract the collagen content from the animal body parts. Collagen is the main structural protein found in various connective tissues in the body of animals. Thus, gelatin is a hydrolyzed form of collagen and a rich source of protein. In fact, gelatin is almost completely made up of protein (98%-99%) and contains important amino acids such as arginine, glycine, aspartic acid, proline, alanine, hydroxyproline, and glutamic acid.
You can make gelatin at home or buy it in powder form, as granules, or as sheets from stores. Unflavoured gelatin is one of the most popular Tripathi products. However, we also sell flavoured gelatin such as Strawberry flavoured gelatin, Pineapple flavoured gelatin, Mango flavoured gelatin, Orange flavoured gelatin, Butterscotch flavoured gelatin, Mixed fruit flavoured gelatin, and Kesar elaichi flavoured gelatin.
You can use these to make smoothies, jellies, desserts, candies, or cakes.
Uses of gelatin
Some uses of gelatin are listed below:
1. Culinary uses - Most people know gelatin as a flavourless and colourless gelling agent (thickener), stabilizer (preservative), or a form of gummy candy, jelly, or marshmallows. However, gelatin can also be used as a texturizer in foods such as margarine, cream cheese, or yoghurt. Some people like to use gelatin to clarify vinegar and apple juice.
Common food products that contain gelatin include gummy bears, candy corn, gelatin desserts, aspin, peeps, trifles, jelly babies, and fruit snacks.
2. Technical uses - Gelatin is not just a food ingredient, it has other uses too. The shells of vitamin and drug capsules are made of gelatin. It is also used as colour gels by professionals who work with theatrical lighting equipment.
A non-gelling form of gelatin known as hydrolysate (hydrolyzed collagen) is used in many types of cosmetic products. You can also use unrefined gelatin as a form of animal glue.
Benefits of consuming gelatin
There are various health benefits of gelatin. Some of these are mentioned below:
1. It may promote bone health and reduce joint pain - When people get old, they may suffer from joint pain and bone problems such as arthritis. According to studies, consuming gelatin can help you to improve age-related diseases such as osteoarthritis, reduce bone pain, and help you to maintain strong joints and healthy bones.
2. It may help you to lose weight - gelatin is mainly protein and free of any fats and carbohydrates. If you add gelatin to your diet, it can help you to feel fuller and reduce your appetite. Thus, you will be able to lose weight much more easily.
3. It may improve the appearance of your hair and skin - Collagen is responsible for the youthful appearance of your skin and silky hair. When you age, the collagen content in your body decreases and you experience a decrease in skin quality and lose the shine of your hair. Consuming gelatin can help you to improve your hair quality as well as skin quality.
4. It can improve your mental health - The amino acid called glycine is known to improve your memory, attention span, and reduce the symptoms of mental disorders such as schizophrenia, body dysmorphic disorder (BDD), and obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD). Gelatin is a rich source of glycine and various other amino acids. Thus, adding it to your diet can help you to improve your brain function and preserve your mental health.
5. It can improve the quality of your sleep - Studies have shown that glycine can improve the quality of your sleep. Consuming about 3 grams of this amino acid (7-14 grams of gelatin) can help you to increase the quality of your sleep by a lot.Apart from the benefits listed above, gelatin may also help you to control your blood sugar, improve digestion, reduce liver damage, and even slow down the growth of cancer. If you want to be on a high-protein diet, it makes sense to consume gelatin regularly. However, even if you don’t exercise or lift weights, consuming gelatin can be very beneficial for you.
Leave a Comment